REVIEW: GHOUL BY BRIAN KEENE

GHOUL
BRIAN KEENE
GENRE: HORROR

SYNOPSIS: June 1984. Timmy Graco is looking forward to summer vacation, taking it easy and hanging out with his buddies. Instead his summer will be filled with terror and a life-and-death battle against a nightmarish creature that few will believe even exists. Timmy learns that the person who's been unearthing fresh graves in the cemetery isn't a person at all. It's a thing. And it's after Timmy and his friends. If Timmy hopes to live to see September, he'll have to escape the...GHOUL.





MY RATING: 4.5 STARS

This is my second Keene book. I read Dead Sea several months back and really liked Keene's storytelling. I found Ghoul very entertaining although at some points my stomach felt a little queasy.

Timmy and his buddies, Barry and Doug, are on summer vacation from school. Their favorite place to play is their secret club house in the cemetery near their homes. I really liked these three boys. Timmy seems to have a pretty good home life, and his parents are the typical American mom and dad. Things at home aren't so well for his buddies though. The home life of Doug and Barry are disturbing and I truly felt horrible for those two kids.

The boys begin to notice things are not quite right at the cemetery. Timmy puts a plan in place and takes matters into his own hands with the help of his friend Barry.

This isn't just another creature story, but also a coming of age story for Timmy and his friends. I think the ending really topped-off the story in a very appropriate way.

Overall, I felt this was a very good story and would highly recommend it for fellow horror fans.








Share this article :
 

+ comments + 3 comments

January 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I read Ghoul a few years ago and it is still my favorite Keene novel. I loved the 80's retro vibe and the realistic ending. Have you read Jeff Strand's Dweller? That's another great monster book. It even made me teary eyed.

January 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I haven't read Dweller yet. I believe it's on my list of books to buy at thriftbooks.com. I've heard good things about it.

January 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I bet you'll enjoy it a lot since you liked Ghoul.

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger