REVIEW: DEAD SEA BY BRIAN KEENE



DEAD SEA
BRIAN KEENE
GENRE: HORROR


SYNOPSIS

With zombies taking over the cities, a group of humans escapes the carnage by taking a small Coast Guard ship out to sea, but there's no getting away-even in the wide ocean.









MY TAKE

5 STARS

This is my first Brian Keene book and certainly not my last. The zombies are grotesque and the character personalities work well together.

The opening sentence in the book gave me a giggle and upped my hopes for the rest of the book:

"I didn't shoot the bitch until she started eating Alan's face."

The main character in this book (and told from his POV) is Lamar Reed. Lamar is such an interesting character. Lamar lets you know right off he's gay, he's black, he's from the bad part of town, he's completely broke after being laid-off from his job, but he doesn't let any of that define who he is. Out of all the book's I've read, Lamar is in my top 10 favorite characters.

Lamar has been holed up in his house because of the zombies. One of his neighbors, Alan, comes to stay with him. As you can tell from the opening sentence of the book, Alan doesn't last too long. He gets attacked as he and Lamar make a run to the local grocery to scavenge for supplies.

While Lamar is on the run he meets up with two kids, Tasha and Malik. They have no one but each other until Lamar comes along. These are two really strong kids. Malik maked quite the impression. One of the first things he said upon meeting Lamar really made me laugh. He had asked Lamar if he was cool and Lamar said he was. Then Malik said:

"You better be. I ain't no punk. I'm hardcore, G. You try messing with my sister and I'll mess you up instead. And if you think I'm playing, just try me."

Just keep in mind that Malik is eight years old.

Then the journey to safety begins for the three of them. They meet up with others along the way and lose some along the way also. This was a really great book. I haven't read a lot of zombie themed books, but this has to be one of the better ones. I really look forward to reading more from Mr. Keene.



BUY THIS BOOK












Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger