TWO BOOKS DUMPED INTO THE DNF PILE

I hate not finishing what I start, especially when it comes to reading. However, two books just didn't make it for me this week and got dumped into the DNF pile. 

I normally don't write reviews or even acknowledge books I don't finish on Goodreads, LibraryThing, Shelfari, or even my blog; but starting today, I will no longer ignore them. I won't be putting reviews up on GR, LT, or SF, but I will be talking about them on my blog.


First up is:

If Angels Burn
Darkyn #1
Lynn Viehl
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Synopsis:

SHE RESTORES THE LIGHT OF HOPE.
Dr. Alexandra Keller is Chicago's most brilliant reconstructive surgeon.

HE DWELLS IN SHADOW.
Michael Cyprien is New Orleans's most reclusive millionaire--and in desperate need of Dr. Keller's skills.

A NEW DAWN AWAITS THEM BOTH....
Beneath the foundation of a mansion in the heart of the Garden District, Alexandra will perform an illegal surgery. Her patient's disfigurement is beyond medical repair. But his body's ability to recuperate from his wounds borders on the miraculous.

Alexandra knows Michael Cyprien is no ordinary patient. Intrigued by how his remarkable physiology might benefit medical science, she is even more compelled by his presence--and the mystery surrounding him and his associates, a cadre of immortals who call themselves the Darkyn.


Why I Didn't Finish:


Boredom. This book bored me to tears. The reader is bombarded with Alex Keller's good deeds. It was like the author had to make sure we knew every good, self-sacrificing deed she's ever done. It seemed long winded and just a lot of talk and no real action. By the time Michael Cyprien is introduced, I thought the story might pick up. Well, it didn't happen. This book just wasn't for me. 


---------------------------------------------------------------


The second on the list this week:


If You Stay
Beautifully Broken #1
Courtney Cole
Genre: Romance / New Adult


Synopsis:

24-year old Pax Tate is an asshole.
Seriously.

He’s a tattooed, rock-hard bad-boy with a bad attitude to match.

But he’s got his reasons.

His mother died when Pax was seven, leaving a hole in his heart filled with guilt although he doesn’t understand why. What he does know is that he and his dad are left alone and with more issues than they can count.

As Pax grew up, he tried to be the kid his father always wanted; the perfect golden boy, but it didn’t work. His dad couldn’t overcome his grief long enough to notice and Pax couldn’t keep up the impossible perfect façade.
So he slipped far, far from it.

Now, he uses drugs and women to cope with the ugliness, the black void that he doesn’t want to deal with. If he pretends that the emptiness isn’t there, then it isn’t, right?
Wrong.

And it’s never more apparent than when he meets Mila.
Sweet, beautiful Mila Hill is the fresh air to his hardened frown, the beauty to his ugly heart. He doesn’t know how to not hurt her, but he quickly realizes that he’s got to figure it out because he needs her to breathe.

When memories of his mother’s death resurface from where he’s repressed them for so long, Mila is there to catch him when the guilt starts making sense. Mila is the one…the one who can save him from his broken troubled heart; from his issues, from the emptiness.

But only if he can stop being an asshole long enough to allow it.

He knows that. And he’s working on it.

But is that enough to make her stay?



Why I Didn't Finish:

 This story contained one of the most unlikable characters EVER in a book. Yes, I know, the above (too long) synopsis explains that Pax is an asshole so the reader knows this very fact before even starting chapter 1. Characters can be assholes, and yet have the potential to be likable. I didn't find this to be true with Pax. He was just plain unlikable.

I did have high hopes for this book because chapter 1 started off very strong and intense. However, the more I read into the book the less interested I became in the characters. I didn't even like Mila. She portrays herself as a good girl and wanting to take things slow with Pax, yet her second date she's naked with him--and this was AFTER she witness him getting a BJ from what he calls a "bar whore". Yeah, no thanks. 
Share this article :
 

+ comments + 5 comments

March 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

You know, I had that "If Angels Burn" book in my tbr pile for years. I just had to have it when it was first released. You know how that is, right? So, it sat there collecting dust forever and I finally picked it up to read and couldn't get through 50 pages because it bored the hell out of me. I no longer buy books fresh off the presses because I have wasted so much money this way :(

March 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I didn't get too far past page 50 myself. It bummed me out because the synopsis sounded interesting, then reading it...it was just sooooo boring!

I used to do the same thing with jumping the gun on buying. I don't much do that anymore either. I am looking forward to getting Joe Hill's NOS4A2 when it's released in April.

March 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Ooooh, me too on the Joe Hill. He is one author I will buy brand new :)

March 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM

At least you gave it a shot, I commend you for that!
-Martha @ theshortone08.blogspot.com

March 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Joe Hill is quickly becoming on of my favorite authors. I loved both Heart Shaped Box and Horns. Out of the two Horns was my favorite.

Martha, I indeed did give it a shot, but it just didn't work out with those two books :(

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger