REVIEW: DEAD CITY BY JOE MCKINNEY

TITLE: DEAD CITY
SERIES: DEAD CITY #1
AUTHOR: JOE MCKINNEY
GENRE: HORROR
EDITION READ: PAPERBACK
AMAZON PRICE: PB $6.89 / KINDLE $4.30


SYNOPSIS:

Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life with an insatiable hunger for human flesh...
The Nightmare Begins
Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family...
Hell On Earth
There's no place to run. No place to hide. The zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors...but he doesn't know the price he will have to pay...





MY RATING: 3 STARS

This is your typical zombie book. It was a little better than okay, but I wasn't amazed by it either. As with any book, the tone is set within the first couple of chapters. Within the first chapter of Dead City, I didn't know if I would even like the main character. Eddie is a San Antonio police officer who is introduced, in my opinion, somewhat weak. He is on the phone with his wife and she is (excuse my bluntness) a raving bitch. If I were Eddie, I would have fed that woman to the zombies. Yeah, I didn't like the wife at all.

As with other zombie novels, there is total devastation and chaos. Eddie witnesses his friends and co-workers being killed. Dead City didn't lack action, but it did lack that extra little something that makes a really great book stand out amongst others of its kind. The book did pick up and interest me a little more when Marcus was introduced. He was funny and made for some interesting scenes. However, it wasn't too long before we were bidding Marcus a somber farewell.

The end of the book seemed to tie up way too nicely for me (especially to be part of a series).

Overall, I liked this book, but didn't love it. I doubt I will bother reading the other books in the series, but I will probably read more books authored by McKinney.








*Book Hollow*
















Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger