REVIEW: THE CEREMONY BY KRISTY EVANS

THE CEREMONY
SPADES #2
KRISTY EVANS
GENRE: PARANORMAL ROMANCE

SYNOPSIS:

The ceremony is a step away, and everyone is watching.
Calise Thomas must prove her worth. With the pre course assignment at hand, she'll either be crowned as an official spade, or sent back home to deal with her remarried dad and his trophy new wife, Laura. Even if it means breaking the law, she'll do whatever it takes to stay in the same cabin with Chris.
The man who is too professional to love and too busy to feel sends Calise mixed messages about his affection for her and leaves her desperate for something more substantial. It's not long before she finds herself lured into a dangerous entanglement that could jeopardize everything she's worked hard for, including her undercover identity.
A statue. A letter. A secret.

And only one thing's certain . . .
A Murder.




MY RATING: 3 STARS

This is a really hard review to write because I really like the story and characters, but the editing hindered the story greatly. This is going to be one of those reviews where I have to do “The Good/The Bad”. Lets get “The Bad” out of the way first so I can at least end on a good note.

The Bad:

If it weren't for the fact that I love the characters and the story, I would've gave this book 2 stars due to the poor proofreading. There was a mistake on almost every other page. It really bothers me when I see such potential in a story, to only have to down grade my rating because of errors that could have easily been caught and fixed. I really, really hope when the author gets time, she will go back through this book and fix the errors and release a new edition of this Kindle story so the rating doesn't affect her sales...because it is a good story—really! The first book had some editing issues, but it was nothing compared to the errors with this one.

With the introduction of Charlie in this first book, I knew I'd see more of him in the second book as a love interest for Calise. I was excited to see how this would play out. There was only one thing about Charlie that bothered me—he kept calling Calise “Girl”. That drove me nuts. Tre some times uses the word “Girl” instead of the name of the female he's talking to, and it doesn't bother me at all. It sounds right coming from Tre, but not from Charlie. His use of the word “Girl” should've been limited to only a couple of times.

I wanted to see Chris more in this book. He is a huge part of the story, and I sort of missed him in this book. He was more of a background character. I needed more Chris!

Some of the scene transitions were a little bit confusing. The characters will be doing on thing, or be in one place, then suddenly they are somewhere else, or doing something different.

The Good:

I really like the overall story and the characters. I love the whole “forbidden love” thing between Calise and Chris. All the characters have their own personalities and they work well together. Calise is starting to evolve as a character as she starts figuring out exactly who she is. I also liked how she is willing to sacrifice her spot on the most wanted team to help Tre.

Calise is getting closer to figuring out what happened to Jennifer. I have an idea of what I think happened to her, whether I'm right or not I won't find out until the next book. So the disappearance of the missing spade, Jennifer, is still ongoing through this book.

It seems that Blue and Kevin are warming up to Calise a bit more in this book. I think in the next book Blue and Calise might even become friends. Of course, that's just speculation on my part.

Even with the technical problems this book has, I'm still looking forward to the next installment of the Spades series. I really like the story and the characters and want to see where the next book takes them.



*Book Hollow*
















Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger