REVIEW: THE CELLAR BY RICHARD LAYMON


THE CELLAR
RICHARD LAYMON
GENRE: HORROR

SYNOPSIS

Visitors flock to see the Beast House with its blood-soaked corridors and creaky doors. Armed with video camcorders, these poor souls enter the forbidden house, never to return. The deeper they go into the house, the darker their nightmares become. Don't even think about going into the cellar.




THE BEAST HOUSE:

Your first look:
an obvious tourist trap

Your guide:
a bizarre old woman who claims her husband and children were butchered there years ago, and further darkly hunts that others have since disappeared

Your fate:
If you are--
Man: a swift and savage death
Woman: a sexual enslavement beyond your wildest fantasies or nightmares




MY TAKE



Oh boy! I was so not prepared for what this book contained. So please be forewarned BEFORE you decide to pick up a copy of The Cellar. This book had it's good and bad points.


I like the overall idea Laymon had with the Beast that lives in the house. I think the “tourist trap” angle was pretty good as well. I liked the characters in the story and was a quick read—I finished it in one day. The Cellar was interesting and kept my attention. Some parts of the book were predictable and maybe even a bit clique. What I really, I must stress REALLY, didn't like was the character Roy's obsession for little girls. Those parts made me nauseous and very uncomfortable. I was definitely cheering when Roy got what was coming to him. What really surprised me about this book was as I was nearing the end, in my mind I thought I knew how it would end, but I was completely wrong. All in all, this was an interesting read.

Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger