REVIEW: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES BY RAY BRADBURY


SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
RAY BRADBURY
GENRE: HORROR

SYNOPSIS

The carnival rolls in sometime after midnight, ushering in Halloween a week early. The shrill siren song of a calliope beckons to all with a seductive promise of dreams and youth regained. In this season of dying, Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois, to destroy every life touched by its strange and sinister mystery. And two boys will discover the secret of its smoke, mazes, and mirrors; two friends who will soon know all too well the heavy cost of wishes. . .and the stuff of nightmare.



MY TAKE 

 



Something Wicked This Way Comes was a very interesting read for me. I don't think I've ever read a book quite like this before (this is my first Bradbury novel).

The novel itself it beautifully written—at times, almost magical. Bradbury's prose is more along the lines of poetry at many points. This is a positive and also a negative. On the positive side, I think it adds an eeriness to the story. On the negative side, if you aren't used to reading this style of storytelling, it could very well hinder the story and cause disinterest. At first, I was put off by the poetic style. However, the more I read the more I began to enjoy it.

I love the “evil carnival comes to town” theme. I liked the main characters, two kids named Will and Jim. I loved the relationship Will has with his father.

As much as I liked this book, I couldn't give it 5 stars. I thought the ending was a bit, well, cheesy (for lack of a better word). But, even with that it was a really good novel and I enjoyed it tremendously.


Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger