REVIEW: FIFTY SHADES OF GREY BY E.L. JAMES

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY
FIFTY SHADES TRILOGY BK#1
E.L. JAMES
GENRE: EROTICA/ADULT FICTION

SYNOPSIS: When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her too - but on his own terms.



Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.


Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?
______________________________________________________________________________

MY TAKE

2 STARS

(May contain spoilers)

Well, I had to see what all the hype was about with the Fifty Shades of Grey. Honestly, I wish I would have committed to reading a different book.

Ok, by now we all know how this book came about (fanfic, Twilight, blah, blah...) and I'm not going to bother with the Twilight similarities, or lack thereof. I want to stick to Fifty Shades itself and not worry about all those annoying references.

Anyways, when I started reading, the first thing I noticed was how poorly it was written. I'm not an English major, (nor do I care to be) but it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. I can only assume this book did not go through editing. If it had it could have been much better (if it did, please fire your editor Ms. James).  If I never read the word "clamber" in another book --EVER-- I will be satisfied.

Now, the main characters....can you seriously get any more screwed up than Christian Grey-don't-touch-me-but-let-me-beat-you-until-you-cry. Christian is just over-the-top about everything. I don't mind a male character that is a little controlling, egotistical, or even a little kinky, but Christian takes all of this to the extreme. It was really hard to for me to connect to his character because of this. The only connecting I wanted to do with Christian was my shoe to his huevos.

Oh, Ana Steele, poor-naive-innocent-never-had-a-boyfriend-man pleasing, Ana Steele. I just wanted to slap her (hard) across the face and say WTF! At one point in the story she is reading his "contract". She is reading about all this stuff he wants to do to her (various kinds of clamps, chains, whippings, canings, etc..) and the worst thing she says is the food restrictions are a deal breaker! I'm sorry, but I would think being caned would be a deal breaker.

The best part of the book for me was the end when she decides she just can't deal with him anymore and she leaves him (and this is the reason this book gets two starts instead of one).

I know there are many women out there who are just eating this series up, and that is wonderful for them. Fifty Shades just wasn't for me. I seriously doubt I will be bothering with reading the other two books in the series. I believe the ebook price of $9.99 is outrageous. This book would have been a much better deal for $2.99 or $3.99.


BUY FROM AMAZON
Share this article :
 

+ comments + 12 comments

May 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

This is the first negative review I've seen for this book. I'm glad to see that not everyone has glowing views on it. I'm still debating whether I'm going to read it or not.

May 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

If you decide to read it, I would love for you to come back and comment to let me know what you think. Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous
May 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Spoiler to some, the Christian Grey character is an attractive Black Man! You didn't know that did ya. I can imagine Actor Jesse Williams playing that part in the movie.
I have the first Book of the Trilogy on my Kindle and the Character Ana describes Christian Grey, which is strangely omitted from the book. So far I am enjoying the book.

Anonymous
May 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

He is black and every actor suggested for the movie is white. I would like to see the movie hold close to the book.

Anonymous
June 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I think he is black as well, but my peers think otherwise...to what omitted description do you refer?

July 25, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I loved the book Fifty Shades Of Grey. I am so glad i enjoyed Christian and Ana's story. I like the movie fifty shades

August 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I am awaiting for the releasing of Movie Fifty shades

August 9, 2013 at 6:02 AM

I can't wait for the movie. I loved the books. I should agree these are the best written books.
Christian Grey

August 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Great review!!!
Thanks for sharing..
You are a great writer EL James.....
the movie fifty shades of grey

Anonymous
February 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I read the full trilogy and was very excited to hear about the movie. however I am very upset that they have a white man playing Grey in the movie. Clearly it states in the book he is tall dark brown skin man, with copper long dreads and gray eyes. Idris Elba, Gary Dourdan, Michael Ealy or Jesse Williams should have been in the running for the Grey roll.... For those of us who have read the book it would make the movie more of a "want to see".

March 18, 2014 at 6:42 PM

You guys are so wrong...I myself am black and the majority of you all that say he is black..is also black...now that we have that established...THAT MAN IS WHITE! The man that they describe as an African american man is his buddy Mr. Clause that came out of the office while she was waiting.....The whole reason why she was waiting in the first place..I had no idea some people thought he was white until my mother started to read and said he was black just in general Convo...and I was totally taken aback...that's what made me searched to see if others thought so...if u only read 1book, read the rest...

June 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I believe he's back also but can't find the refer above. Do you know what chapter or page??

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger