Dead Reckoning / Charlaine Harris

Synopsis (From Goodreads)

With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. But Sookie suspects otherwise and she and Sam work together to uncover the culprit - and the twisted motive for the attack. But her attention is divided. Though she can't 'read' vampires, Sookie knows her lover Eric Northman and his 'child' Pam well - and she realizes that they are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, she is drawn into the plot -which is much more complicated than she knows. Caught up in the politics of the vampire world, Sookie will learn that she is as much of a pawn as any ordinary human - and that there is a new Queen on the board . . . 

_______________________________________________________________________

My Take
2 Stars

I'm definitely on the fence with this book. I didn't love it, nor did I hate it (hate is too strong a word). It seemed to be lacking in several areas.

It's been said that Harris will soon be ending the series after the next two book releases. After reading Dead Reckoning, I believe it might be time. It seems the characters we've all come to love are losing their personalities and are becoming somewhat uninteresting.

Earlier in the series, I thought it would be very interesting to see Sookie and Eric get together...until I finally did. This book (really the past 2 books) have opened my eyes and I am seeing that Eric and Sookie are just not meant to be.

I feel Eric has lost his spark in this book and has become...well, for lack of a better word- boring! I am really missing the old Eric. He was sharp and unintentionally humorous, and now he just seems like the shell of the vampire he used to be.

What about Bill? He's been pretty much a ghost in the past two books. Do I think Sookie should run back to Bill? Nah, not really. I think they have pretty much explored their relationship as far as it's going to go.

The way Dead Reckoning ended, I believe Sookie and Eric will be calling it quits soon. So, where does this leave Sookie? At this point I'm not really sure. I'm pretty much throwing my hands in the air because I'm not sure where Harris is going to lead Sookie in the next two books.

I know it seems that I am possibly being a tad over-critical about Dead Reckoning, but I really did expect more from such a beloved series. I can only hope the next book will be better. I am a devoted Sookie fan and hope for bigger and better things with the next book.
Share this article :
 

+ comments + 2 comments

June 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Seems like this book has a lot of people not liking it or being on the fence. New follower. Like the background.

June 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Thanks for following, Grace!

I think we see this with a lot of series that are coming close to ending. The characters lose steam and interest.

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Book Hollow - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger